Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Heeeeer's Pakal





Pakal was the MAN in these parts and ruled from his teens to his death at 81 years. He was a major builder and many of the exposed structures at Palenque were created during his reign. There is a very good museum dedicated to him and his era at the ruins visitor center. There are many likenesses of the man and quite a lot of written work about his life, in maya glyphs of coarse. It was only a few years ago, less than ten, that the the Maya written code was finally translated and there are many large steale or plaques covered with the history of this man. One other note, his likeness here is accurate and not stylized. Royal male children of the nobels had their heads deformed during the first months of their lives to identify them as royal. Sometimes the deformation worked without significant physical or mental problems - many more other times, well.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi uncle Jeff I just did my oral presentation and I gots an A of people thought you are really intresting and wanted to learn more about you so I told them your site and they will read more on you

Anonymous said...

hi uncle Jeff I just did my oral presentation and I gots an A of people thought you are really intresting and wanted to learn more about you so I told them your site and they will read more on you